This call for proposals targets the highest quality experiments involving innovative, agile SMEs and with work plans built around innovation targets arising from the use of advanced HPC services. Proposals are sought that address business challenges from European SMEs from varied application domains, but preference being given to engineering and manufacturing, or sectors able to demonstrate fast economic growth or particular economic impact for Europe.
Priority will be given to consortia centred on SMEs that are new to the use of advanced HPC services; in particular, a prior involvement in the Fortissimo or Fortissimo 2 projects would require the innovation aspects for the proposed experiment to be clearly justified, the same applies for activities already funded through other programs.
Key Call Details
Submission Deadline: 27th January 2021, at 17:00 Brussels local time
Expected duration of experiments: maximum 15 months with expected commencement 1st June 2021
Funding for Call-1: The indicative total funding budget is € 3 M.
Maximum funding request per proposal: € 200,000 (covering all participants)
Funding constraints: The maximum funding that can be allocated to any Third Party, across all experiments in which that Third Party is involved, is € 150 K. While the participation of certain FF4EuroHPC beneficiaries in experiments is eligible, the funding for their activities in experiments is not included within the budget for experiments.
Expectations for new experiments
The expectations for the proposed experiments are that they should:
- Involve all necessary parties required for the effective and efficient execution of the investigation and impact demonstration to address SME business challenges through the use of HPC systems or advanced HPC services. Appropriate technical management within an experiment is a necessary component.
- Define the resources they need and budget for them, possibly using resources provided directly by the EuroHPC JU or through national actions such as, but not restricted to, the HPC National Competence Centres. (FF4EuroHPC will not be in a position to provide computing resources).
- Define the data protection and data/information access issues that impact its proposed work plan and ensure that the operation of the experiment adheres to those requirements.
- Generate publishable success stories – preferably in multi-media form – based on solution of the SME’s real-world problems that clearly identify the business benefits realised or obtained.
- Align, where appropriate, with regional priorities, such as industrial specialisation areas.
- Be complementary to those already included in the past Fortissimo and Fortissimo 2 projects.
It is to be noted that Engineering Consultancy companies may take the role of the industrial end-user, where that is representative of the corresponding market segment / industrial sector.
A full introduction to the current open call is downloadable as a PDF document.
Access to the proposal submission tool and detailed instructions for proposal submission, together with information about the evaluation criteria to be applied, FAQs and an evaluation check-list, are provided on the following webpage.